Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
INFORMED Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Eunice Wonnacott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 12:59:03 -0400
Stan Sandler wrote:

> Hi Dave (and all):  You wrote: (snip, snip)
>
> > Unfortunately, buckwheat acreages are much reduced from previous years,
> and >the new hybrid varities do not yield as much nectar as the old.
>
> > The old varieties of buckwheat were some of the best honey producing
> plants >that have ever been prized by beekeepers.
>
> A fellow here in PEI grew about 20 acres of buckwheat and got some hives
> from me for pollination.  They didn't seem to be working it very well (and
> it was in the morning, I knew about that) although there were lots of
> bumblebees and wasps in it.  So I didn't charge him, but he gave me a few
> hundred pounds of seed and the next year I planted it (about 8 acres).  Same
> thing happened: lots of bumbles and wasps, very few honeybees.  The first
> year I could at least see quite a few combs of buckwheat honey (I love the
> taste myself), the second year I did not even see much  buckwheat honey.
>
> I wouldn't mind growing it again if I could get some of the seed of the old
> varieties you mentioned.  Do you happen to know the names of them?  Do you
> know where one might get them?
>
> There is also supposed to be two sort of buckwheat families, tartarian and
> silver-hulled.  But I know no more than that.
>
> Would like more info before I plant another crop that the bees ignore!!
>
> Regards, Stan

Stan:

          A year or more ago, I saw a report (not on line, as I remember) which
was an English translation of a Russian study   on nectar producing
plants.  They referred to several varieties of buckwheat by name, and
reported on their study as to nectar and pollen supplies.  There was a
vast difference in them.  I wonder if there is any way of accessing this
Russian study?  As I remember, there were several European countries
also included in the study.

I had the same experience as you did  about ten years ago.  A new field,
recently claimed from woodlot, had been planted to buckwheat as cheap
cover crop.  My hives were less than 1/4 mile away, and got very little
nectar.  It was a real disappointment, as buckwheat is one of my
favorite honeys.

Hope this helps.

Eunice