From:
"Keeler, Lisa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:12:47 -0500
Hi Everyone;

This is my first posting.  I've been eavesdropping for a little so I
hope I get the format right.

This is my second spring with bees and last spring I lost my hive.
Don't know exactly what happened but it makes me more nervous this year.

I've got 3 hive on my property right now and two are very busy bringing
in lots of pollen and every bee is going about her business.  I've also
seen alot of bees collecting water at some tarps I hadn't cleaned up
yet.

I'm concered about the 3rd hive which is shaded heavily by a Large yew
on the west side (this is where the first hive was - the one I lost last
APRIL) - the other two hives are out in the open under some apple trees.
 It's got the most honey left inside the hive compared to the other two.
 At this hive there is a party going on on the landing board and in the
grass in front of the hive and on the hive itself.  Probably 100 or more
bees - some of which are very small.  Some bees are obviously gathering
water from grass and other things, some just appear to be hanging out.
Is this normal.  There is very little actual flying going on relative to
the other two hives and only a small amount of pollen coming in.

I had Apistan in last fall and did a mite count this spring - everything
appears under control for Varroa.  I just finished treating with
Teramycin in powdered sugar.

Is this site suitable?  The yew is great shade in the summer and good
for protecting from the winter winds but the hive is obviously taking
off much slower than the other two this spring.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Lisa Keeler
Indianapolis

P.S.  Go for the moderated list.  You always will get what you expect
from people.  I think Aaron should be trusted to do his best - after all
he's done alright so far.