From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 17:45:29 -0600
Well, I've promised to do nosema checks this year and I guess if I'm going
to do them, I should do them right.  Especially since I paid good money
for a hemacytometer a couple of years ago.  Eric offered to do the
microscope work, but I figure I shouldn't take advantage of his
generosity.  He has his own to do.

Trouble is that I can't find my notes on how to use the hemacytometer.
Then I searched and searched and, although I found a really good post or
two on nosema, I came up empty with regards the use of a hemacytometer.

I understand that to determine what the level of infection per bee, the
guts of 25 bees are placed into 25 ml of water and macerated, then
shaken. After the debris settles, a drop of the broth is placed on the
hemacytometer, the slide cover put over it, and the spores, if any are
counted in the squares under a microscope (power? around 300?) , but I
forget the details and also the math.  I remember that in the course Eric
& I took, that we macerated the whole abdomen for simplicity (maybe it
was the whole bee -- can't recall).

Can someone give me a refresher?  I'm sure the extension people have
this wired and it would be of general interest to the group.

Allen

PS: On the subject of nosema, there are several posts of particular
interest in the logs.  Of them, #2817 is truly impressive -- and
fascinating.
---
You can search the BEE-L archives by sending email to
[log in to unmask] saying
SEARCH BEE-L "key phrase"
Substitute a key phrase for "key phrase" above.
and remember to use the double quotes to exclude
hits on the individual words in the phrase
---