From:
Ian Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 11:41:07 -0500
Hi Kel

I had a similar problem last year when I was called to pick up a swarm.
I borrowed a neighbours tree trimmer....a scissor-like cutting device on a
long pole, and operated by means of a spring-loaded blade, pulleys and a
rope running down to the other end.

You will need to somehow figure out some way of holding the branch
where the swarm/colony is while you cut it so it doesn't fall and risk
killing the queen and angering the bees excessively.  When I cut the
branch, I just let it fall, thinking that the whole swarm would fall onto
the white sheet I had positioned directly under the swarm.  Of course
I was wrong and they just took flight and settled on an even *higher*
branch....<grin>

Good luck,

Ian Watson    [log in to unmask]
real estate agent     gardener    baritone
beekeeper---> 10 colonies and counting