From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 13:36:44 -0600
Excellent post, all round.  I hope we get some comments on these points.

I hadn't planned to use much Fumidil this spring, but I am now
reconsidering.  I guess I have always known that -- if the touts are
correct -- Fumidil could increase my bottom line by as much as double
and reduce my workload in the process. However I have always remained
unconvinced.

I've used Fumidil a few times and seen no visible difference.  I guess I
expected to see a huge difference in cluster size or demeanor of the bees
and to have trouble lifting supers onto the truck in years where I have
used Fumigillan, but I have always been disappointed.  But, as I always
have said, if there were a 10% or even 20% (maybe more) increase in
performance, it would not be obvious without methods of accurate
measurement and comparison.  Of course it is a lot of trouble to do the
measurement, and therefore it just does not get done, and we have to go
by grosser and more subjective judgement.

> ...Treatment of the six to eight frame splits in mid May consisted of
> gorging the bees with four feedings poured over the cluster (rate of one
> tsp. of Fumidil-B in one gallon of 1:1 syrup); twice one hour apart on a
> 60F day, and two subsequent gorgings ten days apart.  Sufficient syrup
> was poured between the combs to moisten the bees without letting too much
>  run out the hive entrance...

Your mention of drenching of bees with Fumidil treated syrup interests me
greatly.  I have heard of this being practised by several of my
neighbours, but haven't done it, because it is contrary to the
recommendations, and I have had no real way of knowing if it works.

So, I would be very interested to know if there are any studies evaluating
this treatment method.  I know others put Fumigillan into patties and dust
it with sugar like oxytet, but I have remained a sceptic.  To me using
unapproved and untested methods seems like sacrificing virgins: something
to do that is expensive and disrupting, but the results of which on the
corn crop are difficult to ascertain.  What has discouraged me in using
Fumidil according to directions is the high cost and the lack of visible
results so a drech method hasd appeal since so little of the drug is used.

As you point out, results are not necessarily visible, so I haven't known
what to think.  ...Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

Allen

--
Buy, sell, trade, get a job, hire help, announce a
meeting, advertise a business or publication...