From:
Conrad Sigona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 09:33:51 -0500
> A question about medication:  what's the best way to mix Terramycin into
> patties?  All of the directions say to mix a 3 lb. can of Crisco with 3 lbs.
> of powdered sugar along with the small package of Terramycin.  However, what
> is the best method of mixing?  Should I just throw it all in the bowl of my
> Kitchenaid mixer (would that be safe as long as I wash everything thoroughly
> afterwards?), or does one melt the shortening first?  I have also seen
> recipes for the Terra-patties that call for granulated sugar.  Is one type
> of sugar better than another?
>
> I plan to feed the package medicated (Fumidil) sugar syrup upon arrival;
> should I also feed the established colony Fumidil as well, even if they have
> honey stores and have been out foraging?  What about feeding pollen
> substitute to the established hive (I have already planned to feed the
> package with Bee Pro)?

If you're planning to feed Fumidil in sugar syrup, put the Terramycin in
there too. Just don't mix up too much at once, since it's unstable in
water. Also, you don't want to heat it (that is, don't mix it into hot
water); make the sugar syrup first and then add the Fumidil and Terramycin.
You'll find that the Fumidil takes much longer to dissolve than the
Terramycin.

Conrad Sigona