Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 12:49:14 GMT+0200
Greets All

I remember a few questions posed on this topic a while back. I am not
sure if anybody quoted this book/paper.

Title - The use of radar to document honey bee drone flight
behaviour
By - G.M. Loper, W.W Wolfe and O.R Taylor jnr, 1988.

Basically they used radar to monitor DCA's (drone congregation areas)
in a number (2) of places in Kansas. They used two types of radar, a
normal unit (IE rather old unit from the 60's to 70's) and Dopler
unit (ie newer and of military design). The dopler unit can detect
the direction of flight more accurately.

They found that DCA's had a gradual increase in numbers unitl a
period and then decreased again (1545 to 1815 CDT). If a queen in a
tether/box was suspended in the DCA more drones were around the
queen.

Judging by the near lack of meat in the paper I would say the
experiment was expensive and hardley worked. (so it was published so
few others would do the same unitl they have better machinery).

HOpe that is interesting

Garth

---
Garth Cambray       Camdini Apiaries
15 Park Road        Apis melifera capensis
Grahamstown         800mm annual precipitation
6139
Eastern Cape
South Africa               Phone 27-0461-311663

On holiday for a few months     Rhodes University
Which means: working with bees 15 hours a day!
Interests: Fliis and bees
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post in no way
reflect those of Rhodes University.