From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 11:33:33 -0800
Allen,
Like you more or less said in your comments, an issue for one side is - does
FGMO need EPA registration if it works?  If it does need registration, like
dormant oil spray, then what?
If we say, "forget it, let common sense prevail", and proceed without EPA
approval, I doubt if much will happen unless it turns up in honey. So far
Crisco has not and I doubt if FGMO will either.
If FGMO works, and a cheap application method is developed, it will be a
primary varroa treatment.
Then all you  need is some normally zealous EPA bureaucrat to start imposing
fines and making a big deal that "Beekeepers are using a non registered
pesticide in their hives!" .  If no studies have been performed, who is to say
that FGMO is benign in a hive environment? Common sense? Dealing with the EPA,
that is a non-starter. (I would be interested to hear from Dr. R if MO used in
mite treatment for horses, which gave him the idea, is registered as a
miticide with the EPA. May make most of the discussion moot, if it is not.)
So, if FGMO works (which has to be proved independently) and it becomes a
primary varroa treatment, then scientific studies confirming its safety should
be made. And I doubt if they would need be very extensive because of FGMO's
present uses wiyh food.
As an aside, I thought the same thing about all the other stuff in a hive that
are no-no's when you talk food safety- like paint, iron nails, wood-, but that
seems  FDA not EPA, because none of them are being used as a pesticide.
Also, I would not try to determine "who is the winner" in the discussion
unless we get an impartial referee, which few of us are.  But if asked, I put
it even.
I will be using MO this year, trialing it on a couple of my hives. I am sure
it will work, but will be happy when I see the kinds of studies that showed
that Crisco did work and why (even though I was using it years before Diane
S's excellent study came out). It is interesting that there are no studies on
Crisco's impact on honey's food safety that I know of. Probably because the
main thing the bees do with both Crisco and FGMO is try to get it out of the
hive.
Wonder how that fits in with everything?
Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME