From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 09:13:49 -0500
Paul Cronshaw wants to know what to do with a honeybound hive. When(if)
spring comes here in northern Vermont, we often have lots of honey in
the upper story. If left above, it "gets in the way" of an expanding
brood nest. Crowding follows. In the north here we "Reverse" our
colonies at the beginning of the Dandelion flow. This is the first major
flow of the year. Reversing(Switching the position of the top and bottom
box) the hive places empty combs on top, giving the queen lots of laying
room up where the heat is. It also puts all that honey left from winter
down below. The bees dont like it below, so they remove it(crystals and
all), and move it back up where they need it , cleaning out those
honeybound frames. Couldn't tell you when to reverse in Santa Barbara,
California. At the beginning of the bees big buildup I guess. Oh yeah,
whar is cyberchiro? Mike