From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 08:54:57 -0600
> There probably are trace elements in the honey and pollen however I would
> much rather have trace elements of somthing that is approved for human
> consumption in it than somthing you have to wear gloves to handle.

I would imagine that there would be more of a problem with FMGO getting
into the wax, since waxes and oils are similar and dissolve easily in one
another.  Any oil in honey -- which is water based -- would normally rise
to the top of the tank and be taken off with the wax skimmings.

I've been meaning to ask: where does all the FMGO go to over time in the
hive?  By my understanding, a considerable volume is applied in each hive
over time and it eventually amounts to a significant percentage of the
weight of all the wax in the hive.  I realise some FMGO is possibly
metabolized (even though it is basically indigestible, some
microrganisms do degrade it) or carried out of the hive on bees and
debris and some soaks into the hive woodenware, but how much of it
dissolves into the combs?

Assuming it does get into the wax, what are the effects?  I imagine that
beeswax with mineral oil in it in small percentages might be refused for
some critical beeswax applications, since the wax is tested for
parriffin waxes and mineral oil is closely related.  In higher
percentages, FMGO might affect the strength of the wax and the temperature
of melting, resulting in combs that sag and hives that collapse internally
under ambient temperatures that bees and hives normally withstand without
problems.

I think that it might be a thought for Dr. Pedro to submit a sample of the
wax in his hives -- which now have over a year of FGMO use -- for
laboratory testing to determine if this might become a problem.

Allen