HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 11:26:10 -0500
I am looking for help in identifying an embossed portrait on what appears
to be a late 1940s vintage half-pint whiskey bottle, which we found during
a recent survey in Maryland.

The portrait is oval and about 1 3/4 x 1 1/4 inches in size, and is on the
concave side of the bottle (below the "Federal Law Prohibits . . ."
lettering.  The individual is male, wearing glasses and a coat and tie, and
looks remarkably like Harry Truman.  He is flanked by two embossed
buildings, one an apparent house and one an apparent distillery.

There are three (largely illegible" signatures around the base of the
bottle, which look like "Harry E. Walker (/)", "Harry Ellkrlken", and
"William Wilken (?)".

Marks on the bottom are hard to distinguish, but include an apparent A in a
circle and the numbers 70 and 48.

Can any whiskey aficionados (or bottle experts) out there tell me if if
this is a picture of Harry Truman, Old Grand-dad, or ???.   If this does
happen to be a 1948 presidential flask, did it help or hurt Harry?  Is this
(or other product endorsements) something Clinton should be considering ???

Any help appreciated . . .

Paul

Paul A. Webb

Dept. Manager, Chapel Hill