HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Mouer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:18:05 -0500
I have a question about "coal pots," by which I mean the
very characteristic ceramic braziers of the Caribbean which
are in the form of a large shallow, handled bowl on an
integral pedestal base which holds the charcoal. Nearly
identical pots are found throughout much of the West Indies,
and they are common in much of West Africa, and yet I have
never seen one from any North American collections. Am I
wrong? Are they in North America? Does anyone have an any
idea when they first appear in the West Indies?  I am trying
to advise a PhD student on a dissertation topic, and I think
coal pots are a potentially fascinating subject. (And if she
doesn't take it on, I will!). Just thought I'd shake the
bushes and see what falls out.

--
Dan Mouer
Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology