HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Frazer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 13:15:53 +0100
Dear Thad,

I cannot remember the reference, but Mary and Adrian Paetzellis
([log in to unmask]) excavated at Jack London's model farm,
which sounds as though it would be very relevant indeed to your
project. I'm also pretty sure I've come across articles in Hist Arch
(in, say, the past fifteen years) about excavations at nonconformist
religious communities which advocated communal property/living to
varying degrees. My own interest in the utopian settlement thing has
focussed around 17th-18th century pirate/maroon  settlements,
particularly in and around Madagascar, although that's rather a
different kettle of fish. Nevertheless, I'd be interested in the
references/responses you get to your query, if you feel so inclined.
Sorry my own comments weren't any more specific.

Best of luck,
Bill Frazer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill Frazer