HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Timothy J Scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:22:11 -0700
Linda-

I am a PhD student at the University of Nevada, Reno.  My dissertation
research is on the potters and pottery of the Great Basin-- so I have been
working on pottery making in Nevada and Utah.  I am very interested in the
pottery that you posted.  I imagine that you are correct in the guess that
it was locally made in Washington.  It sounds interesting to me because
many of the early Mormon potteries in Utah used glazes that were mottled
green- apple green, brownish green, and even to olive green.  Some pieces
are more uniform in color and many are also unglazed, but the green glaze
with red fabric  was a clear earmark of local manufacture.  I would be
interested in seeing photos of the sherd and sketches of the projected
form (if your sherd is big enough for such a drawing).  Could you get
someone to post scanned or digital images of the shed on the web?  I am
trying to get a handle on the pottery of the entire western US to help
construct the context of pottery here in the Basin.

Anyway, I am willing to share any material that may help you to identify
the origin, but I suspect that it is local.  Pictures will help.

Tim Scarlett