HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nancy O'Malley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 13:15:00 -0400
Has anyone ever excavated features associated with residential gas lighting
systems of the mid to late 19th century?  I am particularly interested in
the Springfield Gas Machine which involved the excavation of a fairly deep
chamber outside the house to hold a gasoline tank.  Two pipes ran from the
tank to the basement where an air pump operated by a huge weight suspended
from the ceiling forced air back to the tank; the gas fumes were then
forced into the second pipe and transferred via more pipe to the various
fixtures.  I am concerned about the potential for hazardous wastes
associated with the use of this system that may have ended up in and around
the tank chamber (there to lurk until some poor archaeological schmo
innocently digs into it).  Any prior experience out there?  Thanks in
advance.