HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stephen Rutherford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 21:20:09 GMT
>I'm looking for references regarding the decoration of coffin lids in the
>late 18th and early 19th century.  I know that brass tacks were used to
>form a panel (oval, circular, shield, etc.) within which initials and
>usually the age or date were tacked out.  When and where were they popular?
> Are there archaeological or museum examples?  (some interpreted as
>"sankofa" symbols).  What other decorations served the purpose
>(lead/brass/silver plates)?  &c.
>        Dan W.

In working in a Mortuary you see quite a number of coffin lids.

In general all that would be put on the coffin lid are, the name plate
inscribing
the name , died and the date of death, the R.I.P. would also be put on if
the person was Roman Catholic.

A crusifix and a sacred heart are also placed on Catholics, the Protestant faith
has only a name plate.

On todays coffins these are made of plastic while before these were made of
brass.

On older platesyou woud read name ,born date, died date.