HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"(Mike Polk)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 16:22:22 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-04 23:03:56 EDT, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Dear Colleagues:

         I am currently involved in a project recording a three chambered
(pot)
 lime kiln, constructed in 1858, in Santa Cruz, California. This is an
 intermittent kiln, constructed of mortared limestone lined with two layers
 of fire brick. The kiln operated between 1858 and 1906 when they were
 stripped of their hardware for the construction of a new patent kiln at
 Rincon, California. The kilns are but a aingle element of a complex of
 facilites including waste dumps, a possible cooperage structure, collapsed
 wooden structures, and other facilities related to the later use of the
 property in cattle ranching

         Of the three kilns one has collapsed, one is in fair condition and
one is
 in good condition. The latter is still filled with unburned limestone with
 its arches still firmly in place. For the purpose of a National Register
 nomination, I would like to know if there other examples of complete, fully
 loaded lime kilns anywhere in the California or the U. S.

 Any assistance with this question will be greatly appreciated.

 Thank you,

 Thomas Wheeler

I completed a HAER document on a shaft kiln in northern Utah several years
ago.  You may find the information in that report useful for your study.  The
Mantua Lime Kiln was built in 1892 and largely operated by one man until the
opening of a cement plant in nearby Brigham City put them out of business in
1909.  Let me know if you are interested in a copy.

Mike Polk
Sagebrush Consultants, L.L.C.