HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"N. Adams" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 14:31:31 -0700
As long as it has a good roof on it with a hefty overhang, the walls
would
probably be fine although obviously not as long lasting as brick. I'm
sure
it
periodically needed to be repaired. There are a few early 19th c.
historical
references to plantation mainhouses in the hot and humid S.C. lowcountry

that
were at least partially "clay walled" which could mean either cob
construction,
wattle and daub, or some other mix of clay and wood. And there were
numerous
slave houses made of clay, particularly in the 18th c., but even into
the
19th
c. in South Carolina.

Natalie Adams

Ned Heite wrote:

> This morning, I was reading the 1804 assessment for Mill Creek
Hundred,
New
> Castle County, Delaware, when I saw something startling, to say the
least.
> Most of the houses in the hundred were stone, or log, or sometimes
brick.
> Three were listed as mud-walled. What is a mud-walled house doing in
> temperate, humid, rainy, wet New Castle County in 1804. In all three
cases,
> the inhabitants of these mud-walled houses were substantial, one of
them