HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 12:25:45 -0500
This morning, I was reading the 1804 assessment for Mill Creek Hundred, New
Castle County, Delaware, when I saw something startling, to say the least.
Most of the houses in the hundred were stone, or log, or sometimes brick.
Three were listed as mud-walled. What is a mud-walled house doing in
temperate, humid, rainy, wet New Castle County in 1804. In all three cases,
the inhabitants of these mud-walled houses were substantial, one of them a
farmer with more than 200 acres.

Turf or sod springs to mind. How else can one intepret this?

    _____
___(_____)                           LAND ROVER
|"Baby"  \                           Official vehicle of the
Ned Heite, Camden, DE  http://home.dmv.com/~eheite/index.html