HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Paul E. Reckner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 1998 15:11:24 -0700
hi donna,

its probably not kaolin.  kaolin is a very unusual clay type and most white
clay pipes of European manufacture are simply white ball clay.  slight
chemical difference between ball clay and kaolin.

anyway, the way you describe the pipe it sounds like a number of examples
recovered from mid-19th century contexts at the Five Points site (block 160)
in New York City.  i can send you a copy of some drawings and a paper on
patriotic symbolism on pipes if they would be of any use to you.

regards,
per.