HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 14 May 1998 13:38:07 EDT
Ok--its only possibly ancient, and then only for South Carolina, to be
honest...anyway, We recently found a salt glazed stoneware bottle
seal/medallion that is marked with the letters CR with a crown over them. This
is on a gray body, and has cobalt accenting--it looks Rhenish, or at least in
that tradition. For a visual reference the mark looks almost exactly like a
coin illustrated in Noel Hume--(Artifacts of Colonial America--pg 157, No. 5).
A CR mark would probably date no later than the mid 1680's---but the question
is, has anyone else ever seen a CR mark? I thought this type of mark was
associated with excise tax laws enacted after about 1702(?) The earliest one I
have seen is an "AR." Any information would be appreciated..... Carl Steen