HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Heather Griggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 18:42:28 -0500
This is a Navy button that came into use in the early 1840's.  If the fluke
is behind the left wing it's from 1840 - 1850, if the fluke is in front of
the wing it's post 1850 (up to 1942!).

The T.W.& W. / Paris embossment was originally used by one company from
Paris that changed its name several times.  I do not have the extended name
of the company.  This company is not listed as a maker of naval buttons in
David Johnson's, Uniform Buttons: American Armed Forces 1784 - 1948, but I
don't think that necessarily means anything.  There seem to have been a lot
of companies making these buttons for the Navy.  Hope that's of some help.

Regards,
Heather Griggs

At 09:30 AM 3/18/1998 -0800, you wrote:
>All,
>   I am trying to pin down a date for a US Naval Button from a plowzone
The maker mark on