HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"James G. Gibb" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 06:45:28 -0500
Fellow Histarchers:
The Lost Towns of Anne Arundel Project seeks information on historic
domestic sites abandoned due, in whole or in part, to boundary disputes.
We have undertaken salvage excavations at a late 18th through early
19th-century domestic site that appears to have lain on or near the
boundary between two Maryland plantations. The land was contested in the
courts, resulting in ejected tenants and two resurveys.

We are familiar with William Brandon's work on the Wetherbee site in
Middlesex County, Massachusetts, published in The Dublin Seminar for New
England Folklife Annual Proceedings, 1977. He suggests that this site,
situated in a contested area between two towns, was abandoned because
neither town would invest in the construction and maintenance of
adjoining roads. Has Brandon published anything since then on the
Wetherbee site?

Your collective assistance is greatly appreciated.

Jim Gibb
The Lost Towns of Anne Arundel Project
Annapolis, MD