HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 09:40:54 -0500
     Jay:

     I found two or three examples of the bottle you describe in a Russian
     hospital trash pit in Sitka, Alaska. The trash was deposited in about
     1864. The bottle contained mineral water, not any kind of spirits
     (Selters = Seltzer). I believe it was a German manufacturer. The
     Russians received a good deal of their goods from Germany.

     I have my report at home, so can't give you any additional data at
     this time. However, you might check out our report at your nearest
     federal documents repository:

     Catherine Holder Blee, Marianne Musitelli, Linda J. Scott, D. Kate
     Aasen, and Stephen A. Chomko

     1986  Wine, Yaman and Stone: The Archeology of a Russian Hospital
           Trash Pit, Sitka National Historical Park, Sitka, Alaska. US
           Government Printing Office, Denver.

     We have drawings and complete references for the information in the report.

     Hope that helps!

     Cathy Spude