HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Antone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 1997 11:03:48 EST
     Another thing to watch out for is a cookie.  When you are on the
web a great number of sites try to put a piece of software on your
computer that broadcasts everything you do when you log on back to them.
I have seen up to thirty in a day.  They expire years into the future -
one I remember seeing was good ubtil 2010.  That means that whenever you
get on line your computer broadcasts back to them whatever you are doing
and you may know nothing about it.

Hi all:

In order to get rid of cookies, add the following line to your autoexec.bat file
under the root directory c:\

if exist c:\netscape\cookies.txt erase c:\netscape\cookies.txt

This will delete your cookies file.  Keep it in your autoexec.bat and whenever
you reboot your system, the commad will execute and erase it each time.

Paul

A. Paul Antone
Archaeological Resource Management Analyst
Federal Archaeology Office
National Historic Sites Directorate
Parks Canada
Department of Canadian Heritage

The views and opinions expressed here are my own and they do not
necessarily reflect those of the Department of Canadian Heritage
nor the Government of Canada.