HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
woodsman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 10 May 1997 19:54:17 -0500
> Assuming that the rock dome structures are roasting/baking ovens (found
> in close association with the living area away from the mess hall), why
> was it necessary for workers to construct these structures when meals
> were provided by the contractor?  Is this an example of snacking
> behavior to compensate for the lack of an adequate/nourshing meal?
     I have no idea if this thought is even close but - my first thought
on hearing about the ovens was charcoal.  It sounds to me as though you
are talking about rails being laid out into the desert where fuel is
scarce outside of buffalo chips - manure.  Charcoal would have been an
easier fuel source to transport than lumber, especially if the waste
from cutting ties were used for the ovens.
woodsman