HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pamela Cressey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 11:46:18 -0500
Gee, Ned, my posting was intended as a response to the query about whether
archaeologists find characteristically Euro-American artifacts.  I suppose
I could have put it more simply, by saying that, of course, they're all
around us, but we don't notice their uniqueness because they are "ours."
I brought up the Georgian mind-set as an example of a Western ideology and
how contemporary writers have identified and studied such concepts.  The
upshot is that artifacts characteristic of the Georgian mind-set could be
said to be Euro-American, as are, for instance, colonial administrative
buildings in New Delhi and Africa.  Naturally, there are pre-Georgian
Euro-American artifacts (and it might be worth considering whether we
could be evolving into a post-Georgian mind-set).  Positing such
ideologies does give some basis for larger cross-cultural comparison and
for studying individual cultures through time.

Oh, and Deetz! (thanks, Dan).

Tim Dennee