HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Loretta Neumann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 1996 20:01:09 GMT
***Alert***

Fax: 202-293-1782

HOUSE PASSES LANDS BILL WITH
ADVISORY COUNCIL REAUTHORIZATION
SENATE TO ACT, HOPEFULLY ON MONDAY

        Just to let you know that we're making headway, the House of Representatives
tonight passed yet a new bill, H.R. 4236, the "Omnibus Parks and Public Lands
Act."  And, among other things, it includes reauthorization of the Advisory
Council on Historic Preservation!
        The vote was 404 to 4, an overwhelming vote. The bill now goes to the
Senate, which has recessed until Monday.
        The bill does not include the provisions that the President said would cause
a veto. It does include many provisions that the Administration supports,
including new parks (the Tallgrass Prairie in Kansas) and designations of
several new heritage areas (such as the Ohio & Erie Canal in Ohio, Essex in
Massachusetts.)

        It's still not a "done deal," however.  Please contact your senators and
urge them to vote in favor of H.R. 4236!  You can reach them through the
Capitol Switchboard, 224-3121.

        If you hear that anyone is opposed to the bill, please let me know right
away so we can try to deal with it as quickly as possible.