HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 12:32:46 -0500
From:
Jake Ivey <[log in to unmask]>
     Spanborders:

     I'm just back from Zacatecas, where among other things I visited the
     old Colegio de Propaganda Fide at Guadalupe, just outside of town.
     Taking the tour of the place, I saw a series of large paintings
     showing the life of St. Francis, many of the scenes of which showed
     episodes of popular legends about him, rather than of actual
     historical events.  One such scene, surprisingly, showed Francis
     killing a man, using a sword.  Does anyone know this story, know of a
     reference that tells about it, or know who painted this picture and
     what its title is?

     It is apparently the explanation behind the name of the mission in San
     Antonio, Texas: "San Francisco de la Espada," about which I'm writing
     at the moment.

     Thanks for any help,

     Jake.