HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Timothy James Scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 23:38:58 -0700
Mary Ellin and others have raised excellent points.  Perhaps we could have a
session in this vein for SHA 2000?  I have been considering organizing a
session around the theme "Is culture dead in historical archaeology?"  This
theme is interesting to me since everything I read now struggles with
ethnicity, race, religion, class, socioeconomics, or even age and not
culture per se.  I find the writings of the members of the "culture studies"
group to be very provocative.  Perhaps I could combine these two themes into
one session, and we could attempt to present a set of papers by historians
and archaeologists grappling with the idea of culture?  We could then try to
get participants to deliver the session at Quebec and a major historical
conference.  I think the Western History Association meeting is at the same
time as the SHA, but I am open to suggestions...

What level of interest is there for this kind of session?

Tim
Timothy Scarlett
University of Nevada, Reno
Department of Anthropology / 096
Reno, NV 89557-0096
work (775) 784-4417, home (775) 746-0916, fax (775) 327-2226
I was going to be a Suburban Neo-Deconstructivist, but mom wouldn't let me.
-- Calvin