HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Phil Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 23:16:07 -0000
Hi I have a few snippets of info on the topic from the Hornby Castle Estate
diary

might not be what you are after but there is more if required.

I also have a few others recorded as part of my vernacular architecture
research. let me know

cheers Phil Hudson, Settle. N.Yorks  see me (not in 'the neccessary') at

http://www.users.daelnet.co.uk/hudson-history/index.html

Thur July 29th. 1819
James Willan and John Braithwaite came to the Castle today, Willan examined
the water closet.
Fri Oct. 1st. 1819
W Nicholson and I measured the Launds Yard Walls for coping.  Mr Armitstead
and Mr J Wright dined at Mr Bleasdales.  E Knowles laid anew the floor of
the lower water closet.
The men poured boiling water into the Cistern of the water closet which had
been stopped and the method loosed it this night.  William Robinson of
Hornby called.

Fri January 21st. 1820
Thomas Transet of Claughton called and signed Mr Marsdens Bill against the
Hundred of Lonsdale.  Mr Marsden Mr Bleasdale and the son of Mr Armitsteads
dined at the Reverend R Proctors.  I copied some evidence for Mr Sharp
respecting the dispute of Warf Wood and it was enclosed to him and I gave
it to Watkin's this evening.  The Carpenters thawing with hot water a
leaden pipe that conveys the water from the roof into the Cistern of the
Water Closets.
> From: Denise Haynes <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Help!
> Date: 16 November 1998 18:45
>
> To Whomever Can Help,
>      I need to know how to find info. on construction and maintenance of
19th
> c. privies. Any info. would help, especially anything I can get online.
Thank-