HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 06:52:47 -0500
Gasoline systems were used by tomato canneries during the nineteenth
century, but I don't know of any that have been excavated. The stuff was
gasified, like a modern Coleman stove. The systems, according to plans,
were to be placed at a distance from the cannery buildings, which were
highly flammable wooden sheds.

Calcium carbide systems for generating acetylene were not uncommon as late
as the 1950s in United States machine shops. The systems were so common
that "carbide cans" were a commonplace container for trash and scrap on
industrial sites during my long-ago youth.

    _____
___(_____)                When all is said and done,
|Baby the\                there is too frequently
|1969 Land\_===__         more said than done.
   ___Rover   ___|o
Ned Heite, Camden, DE  http://home.dmv.com/~eheite/index.html