HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 21:16:13 +0100
looking for:
        1) e-mail/other addresses for professional archaeological associations
in US/Canada/elsewhere - also feedback r.e. their effectiveness/shortcomings,
etc.
the need for such a professional association?
        3) comments/horrorstories/praises on the way archaeology is done: does
lack of financing put us down on a level with the grabe robbers we despise?
how do the state and private excavation companies/other interests co-exist
elsewhere? here in brandenburg germany we seem to be hitting a crisis point: the

investors choose who they want to award the contract to, usually the lowest
bidder, and in an increasing number of cases that means that only a substandard
piece of work can result, but the powers-that-be don't seem to have the will or
might to do anything about it; for example, we will no longer get dendro
dates, because they're not in the contracts/tenders, although we still have to
collect and sample wood... anything to say on places where the system works, and

why? where it doesn't, and why? ideal/dream situations? how you would do it if
you had to set up a state system/service?
        to keep from jamming up the HISTARCH list with stuff most people might
know already (or just for the sake of secrecy), you can e-mail directly to
or