Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Anthony M Jadczak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 12:16:15 -0500
     Several beekeepers in Maine report corn honey production, they say it
     tastes like corn but I thought it tasted like honeydew with a
     molasses-like flavor. I have  guessed that it is probably honeydew
     collected from aphids feeding on corn but who knows, the old Gleanings
     article may be correct in some years at some locations.  It (korn?)
     was prevalent in 1996-97 which were both dry years with poor clover
     flows and with high aphid populations especially in the white pine.
     In central Maine, bamboo doesn't bloom until early September.  The
     "korn" honey is produced during the later part of July & August.  One
     of us had better take a walk out into a corn field when this dark
     honey starts coming in next summer a pull a few honey stomachs from
     the visiting bees. In 97 a dairy farmer told me that the bees were
     thick in his corn.  I told him they were there for the pollen, maybe I
     was wrong.  Also, last summer the bees worked smooth bedstraw (Galium
     mallugo) which I have never observed, anyone know if this plant
     produces honey?  It was a poor honey year for most of Maine, perhaps
     the bees were desperate.  Is there a method to differentiate honeydew
     honey from honey derived from nectar?