HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Mouer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:57:22 -0400
Nicely said, Philip...and that is the crux of the matter. In the US, at any
rate, most archaeologists come from a different discipline than do historians.
We swim in the same sea, so to speak, but some of us are surfers, some swimmers,
some deep sivers...and it all looks very different from these different
perspectives. I have heard historians make comments as to how they see "no way
that archaeology has contributed anything to the major themes of
history."---that's a near quote many of my fellow Chesapeake scholars will
recognize. I doubt that is a true statement in any sense, but it also begs the
question as to whether archaeology ever intended to do that. Among
anthropologists, of course, the answer is "No."

Another, friendlier, exchange took place between an historian and an
archaeologist at a regional meeting many years ago. The archaeologist was me.

Historian: You archaeologists can never begin to understand the intimate
relationship we historians can have with the past as we spend countless hours
reading diaries, letters, and the personal records of an individual from the
past.

Archaeologist: Apart from the simple observation that fewer than 1/10 of 1
percent of all who have lived in, say, the past 5000 years have left any diaries
or letters behind, I beg to differ. Once you have stood for days on end up to
your waist excavating in someone's privy pit, or lain in the hot sun for hours
over a grave removing the gooey matrix from your subject's abdominal region and
placing it in plastic bags for further microscopic analysis...well I think that
is a form of "intimacy" with the past that doesn't translate to paper or
microfilm.

Different strokes, eh?

Dan

--