HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:19:52 +0000
Whoops - I was quite fantastically out of order in my unfortunate
suggestion
that any Virginia (or other US) Caribbean program was in and of itself
flawed,
and I apologise.  Next time I'll cut back on the pre-email trips to the
pub ;-)

I also particularly apologise for the suggestion that Dan Mouer would
_ever_
have the bad taste to let his students drink Red Stripe while under his
supervision.

In my experience, these programs do indeed potentially expose many young
Americans to the 'outside world', are directed by excellent
archaeologists
who produce excellent work and I have some American colleagues
who have undoubtedly been enriched by the experience.  I personally
spent
a month working under Doug Armstrong's supervision in Jamaica, and found
it
both enjoyable and educational.

But.... note that carefully qualified use of the word 'potentially' in
the
above paragraph.  The opportunity is there for those who want to reach
out
for it, but my experience also strongly suggests that only a minority do
so on a long term basis, and that their primary memories remain beaches,
tans, and [insert beer of choice here].

More buts... I should also note that to me, this debate isn't a matter
of
historical archaeology or post-medieval archaeology being inherently
better than each other.  The latter certainly has its own problems.  I
simply remain deeply convinced that historical archaeology's avowed
internationalism is something genuinely believed in by more than a small
minority.

--
Alasdair Brooks