HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Eugene R. Prince" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 10:38:12 EDT
Dan's thoughtful post on the wandering poles reminds me of one of my pet
peeves...the use of declination values over five years old. A student once
showed me the declination map that came with her new compass that was 15 years
out of date. Also, unthinkingly, using the value printed on a topo sheet dated
1957.

Aside from using a non-magnetic compass, you can easily find the local
declination that includes local variations and anomilies by taking a few
minutes to take a number of bearings and comparing the difference on your topo
sheet. The very latest data that you can get.

Best,

Gene Prince