HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 22:06:00 +0200
Jeannie K. Yang schrieb:
> Hello Folks!
>
> I'm posting the following for a colleague....
>
> Jeannie K. Yang
> http://www.wco.com/~genie/

> geoff carver wrote:
> >and if you plot your finds 3D, can you maybe "recreate" strata that way?
>
> IMHO, no. At least not with a stratigraphically complex site. It has been
> tried unsucessfully (I can supply a reference if anyone is interested.)

um, no, sorry: wasn't meaning complex sites: was referring to sites with or w/o
stratigraphy (other thread of this meandering discussion): more along the lines
of wouldn't 3D plotting tend to produce some sort of stratigraphic effect? as in

all your finds might/could/should sort of end up clustered along identifiable
levels? forgetting all the seriation and/or dating of the artifacts/artefacts
(i'm not picky) themselves...

geoff carver
http://home.t-online.de/home/gcarver/