HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Arnott, Sigrid" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 1998 14:02:11 -0500
Thanks for the info. Although I have seen atached privies, I wasn't
aquainted with ones contained within the house footprint, and off a
kitchen area. When I saw this arrangement I wondered if they were trying
to emulate some "progressive" ideal. I suppose it would have preserved
the quality of their nearby well water and provided fertizer. Perhaps it
was just more convenient, or something they had seen out East and
emulated

Sigrid Arnott
Historical Archaeologist
Minnesota Historical Society