HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Vergil Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 08:29:47 -0500
     Anita,

     You might contact Carl Kutruff about Fort Loudon in Tennessee.  It was
     reconstructed on a thick pad of fill when the actual site was to be
     inudated by a dam project.  It is now a state park.

     As Cathy Spude notes in a message she circulated on your behalf on NPS
     bulletin board, National Park Service cultural resources policy does
     not ordinarily allow reconstruction, but it can be done under certain
     circumstances.  Usually that means good evidence of the above ground
     appearance of a structure (e.g., photographs) and placement on the
     original site.  Anything reconstructed at another location would be
     considered an "exhibit," and those are discouraged.

     No off-site reconstructions in national parks come to mind, but I will
     check.

     Vergil