HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pamela Cressey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 15:34:52 -0400
We're working on the site of a ca. 1830-1873 cracker bakery.  It was known
to have had a steam engine from the 1850s.  Can anyone furnish or suggest
site information or citations and period literature on:

1.  19th century cracker baking, particularly the configuration of ovens,
etc. (we have an apparent French drain under the rear of the proposed
oven locations, for instance); and

2.  mid 19th-century steam engines, particularly features associated with
them on archaeological sites.  We have a likely place for ours, a
brick floor with some more-or-less vertical iron pipes or poles, and a pit
or catch basin covered by a slab.

Thank you,

Tim Dennee
Alexandria Archaeology