HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Cranmer, Leon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 12:59:21 -0500
REPLY FROM: Cranmer, Leon
Microsoft Mail v3.0 IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
From: Mary C. Beaudry
To:  HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY
Subject:  Re: Dugout dwellings in Maine
Date: 1998-03-19 16:26

Emerson Baker told me a couple of years ago that someone excavated early
17th-century dugout houses at Spirit Pond in Maine.  The results were the
basis for reconstructions at Pioneer Village in Salem, Mass.  Tad said he'd
give me the publication reference, but I haven't followed up on it.  It
certainly sounded interesting.  Maybe Lee Cranmer can jump in here with the
reference . . .

M. Beaudry

The site Mary refers to is the "Spirit Pond Pit-House" site #ME348-002.  It
is in the town of Phippsburg (Maine).  The area was surveyed by Edward J.
Lenik between 1972 -1974.  The survey was a search for Norse occupation
to which some believed the pit-house to be associated.  The survey was done
for the New England Antiquities Research Assoc. (NEARA) from what I
understand.  Few artifacts were found but did include a 9/64" pipestem. The
more accepted conclusion was that this was a first-generation, possibly
Contact Period, occupation. The reference for Lenik's excavation of the pit-
house is:
Lenik, Edward J.
1973    "The Spirit Pond Sod House". New England Antiquities Research
        Association, Milford, NH.----also in Maine Archaeological Society
        Bulletin, 15: 1 (1975).
I can probably get you a copy of this if you're interested.
Lee Cranmer
Maine Historic Preservation Comm.