From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 13:00:51 EST
The smoke and mirrors behind BEE-L is server software called LISTSERV .
BEE-L is the name of the list, LISTSERV is the software that makes it
all work, with problems being resolved by the list owner (me).

When one subscribes to BEE-L (the list), LISTSERV (the software)
adds the name and address to the subscription list EXACTLY as it
appears when subscribing.  If Ian Watson subscribes as [log in to unmask]
LISTSERV does not recognize mail from Ian Watson sent from [log in to unmask]

BEE-L is configured as an open, private list which means that anyone can
subscribe but only subscribers can post (and review and search archives
and get many other services that LISTSERV provides to subscribers of BEE-L).
An open private list is protected from spam (unless the spammer is a member).
However in an open private list, mail from [log in to unmask] (Ian Watson,
nonsubscriber) gets rejected whereas mail from [log in to unmask] (Ian
Watson, subscriber) gets posted to the list.  Mail that gets rejected gets
forwarded to the list owner (me) for approval or rejection.  If the owner
(me) approves the mail, LISTSERV (the server) posts it to BEE-L (the list)
and sends to the nonsubscriber a message confirmation.  If the owner (me)
does NOT approve the mail it goes to the bit bucket, never to be read by
anyone except me.

Now this can be looked at in two different ways, either that the list
owner (me) has a lot of power or the list owner (me) has a lot of work
to do maintaining the list.  I see it as the later, which is why I have
not made BEE-L a moderated list.  A moderated list requires approval for
EVERY post, not merely posts from nonsubscribers.  List maintenance of
this nonmoderated list takes anywhere from 15 minutes to two hours daily,
depending on traffic and the state of affairs in cyberspace.  The servers
in Zaire have been out to lunch since sometime last week resulting in
two error messages (one per subscriber) for every post to the list (BEE-L)
that the server (LISTSERV) forwards to the owner (me) for resolution.
This is why I ask people to take care of their subscriptions.  If your
service provider changes your host name from say, "good.host" to say
"really.good.host" while still forwarding mail to the original address,
LISTSERV will not recognize the difference and from then on everything
"[log in to unmask]" intended for BEE-L (the list) gets rejected by
LISTSERV (the server) and gets forwarded to the owner (me).

So no, BEE-L has not become a moderated list.  That day may come but
it will require a huge effort on the moderator's part.  In the meantime
there is a great deal that subscribers can do to relieve the list:

     1) If you must be rude or unpleasant, keep it personal and
        off list (reply to the author, not the list).  Better yet,
        refrain.
     2) If you must post "me too" and "right on" posts, keep them
        personal and off list.  Better yet, see above.
     3) Advertise the availability of huge binaries, don't dump them
        onto the list.
     4) Be responsible for your own subscription.  If you're changing
        service providers, SIGNOFF your old subscription and reSUBSCRIBE
        from your new account.  Likewise if your service provider is
        changing its name (SIGNOFF the old, SUBSCRIBE the new).
     5) If you have more than one account, either subscribe them both
        (in which case you'll receive twice the traffic (gasp!)) or
        only access BEE-L uaing the account from which you subscriped.

It's like theatre - there's a lot that goes on besides what's on stage!

Aaron Morris - I think, therefor I bee!