From:
Pollinator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 09:24:32 EST
In a message dated 97-12-22 14:04:30 EST, [log in to unmask] (Jerry Scott)
writes:

       <<  I'm not only new to this list, but I'm new to beekeeping.  I've
 had the interest for some time now and am tired of just reading about
 it.  I, therefore hope to start with a couple of hives this coming
 Spring.>>

    Welcome aboard and best wishes of success.

<<         I live in Lipan, Texas - which is just west of Fort Worth,
 Texas.  I am hoping to make contact someone that lives in this area to
 help GUIDE me in starting the hives so I don't start off by murdering
 them.>>

    You are in a very active beekeeping area. We were just there, this past
summer and visited several beekeepers. I am reluctant to volunteer their
services without their permission, but you can check with your county
extension to locate bee clubs and beekeepers who can help. It is hard to get
everything from books.

<<         I have bought most of the supplies (I think - brood boxes,
 supers, frames, queen excluder, covers, smoker, bee suit, hive tool) for
 two hives (two catalog starter kits).  Only lacking the starter
 foundation, and bee's, which I understand shouldn't be ordered until
 Spring.>>

   Better order the bees now and get into the order books. The suppliers may
be sold out by spring.

      <<   I and my wife have done a lot of reading about beekeeping.  But,
 we some how feel that beside making it all seem very complex, all the
 reading won't be enough.  That's why I'm hoping to find a guide to help
 start things right.  Also, so I don't pester this list with a bunch of
 newbie dumb questions, that may seem important to me.  Like: I was
 thinking of starting with the Buckfast Queen from B. Weaver Apiaries.
 Only because their write up states they are gentle and easy keeping
 bee's good for the novice beekeeper.  Is this an OK choice or should we
 do something different?>>

    Buckfast are excellent for a beginner. Some may also recommend Carniolans,
because they are so gentle, but I would not concur for southern beekeepers.
They are a mountain bee, in their original habitat, and they don't hold up
very well in hot southern, summer weather.

    Write me, if you wish. I can't always respond; our work goes in spurts,
but I will try to help, when I can. This winter I am hopeful of making a
newbie FAQ for southern beekeepers to post on our web page. Whether it will
get done depends on a lot of things, so again, I won't promise anything.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm