From:
Jon C Peacock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 13:41:06 EST
Greeting to List Members.
I have a request.  Please send to address below,
your ideas for an "Education Site" at furture South Eastern
Flower Shows.  In mid February of 1998, there will be
the Annual 'Southeastern Flower Show', in midtown
Atlanta, Georgia. The flower show typically draws 56,000
people in five days at 9 hours per day.   Our local Bee
keepers association is allowed a 10 foot square area in
which to set up an educational site where 1,200 plus
people will walk past in a 9 hour period.  The site is
inside an OLD 'Sear & Roebuck' building in downtown
Atlanta, Georgia.  The floor is concrete, the walls are
OLD cinder blocks and the area is actually  very cool for
early February.  We typically show a single frame of a
deep super, Observation hive.  Both long sides are open
for public inspection thru plexi glass, with Bee keepers
on duty for information and safety.   The Observation
hive is a real drawing card.  We, the local association,
do not have money to donate to this site and we are not
allowed to sell anything to fund the endevor.  The
positive side, we find new members, we make contacts
for honey or hive products or bee talks that almost make
it profitable.  We need ideas for the smallish area.  We
have had themes, Bees are Angles of Argiculure, Evolution
of the Bee Hive,  Extinct - Wild Bees We have Known,
and others.  The folks that set up and run the Flower
Show will donate all the flowers the area will hold.  It is
awkward to explain to a attentive group, that bees do not
work the White and Purple Hyacinth or the Daffodils that
blanket the area.  Honey displays, 10 jars or hundreds are
a complete flop.  The folks want to buy.  "Why can't I buy
a jar, there are dozens of bottles just sitting there.  Or
"Un hu, lotsa pretty colors, can I taste one of the pretty
yellow jars up near the top?"   No, we don't do that sort of
thing to the general public.   The Atlanta Flower Show
--folks want an 'Educational Bee Keepers site' set up.   I have
some 'little theatre' experience, but the local club thinks
I'm daff to suggest making  a 'set' liken a Bee Yard.  And you cannot get
technical with the general public.  They are real
quick with, "Oh mumm", and wander away.   Any suggestion
gladly accepted.  Thanks.    E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
J.C.Peacock, :-},  US Postal Address;
 6660 Imperial Dr.,  Morrow, GA  30260-2208
 Retired Staff Sargent.  Granddad to 6.   3 of each.
14 years B keepr.  8 Italian hives.  Small Craft sailor.
One eyed cabinet maker.  *-)  , "Every day discover something new in the
every day things around you,
look at things differently."

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]