From:
"M. C. Michel" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 12:43:20 -0500
Richard H. Glassford II wrote:  I have a small orchard and a fairly

> large garden.  I would like to have one bee hive in the back yard but
> have 5 small children from the ages 4-13 that play in the back yard.
> You all are the experts. Many of you have had bees for a very long
> time.
>  What would be your advice.  My nightmare is my kids and dogs will be
> attacked.  If stung are their drugs I should have around the house
> that
> I could give to the kids if they are allergic?   I am new to the list
> and have enjoyed reading the posts.

Rich,

I have Five Boys, ages 20 months to 12 years.  My apiary is adjacent to
my chestnut orchard.  All of the boys when not directly suited up for
bee work do not ever have a problem with the bees.  I would however
suggest you do as we did and place a fence  to keep the dogs out.  As
for the boys, they are allowed to enter the apiary with adult
supervision.  the small ones MUST hold hands with older ones.  My boys
working with bees know not to swat at bees when encountered in the
orchard or other yard.  We have not had a random sting on any of the
children.  As for working the bees, there have been a few stings but
they wear full protection and the stings have been very few.

A couple of days ago my 9 year old was forming up a ball of burr comb
that we had cleaned off some of the hives and he was stung by a dead
bee.  It seems the bee sting was sticking out of the ball of wax and he
got a rather deep sting.  That aside we have had few (if any) problems.

Bees and people do mix when you are properly educated.

M.  Chris Michel
Poplar Bluff, Missouri