HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
michael meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 1998 08:07:47 -0700
Has anyone noticed a correlation between privy construction methods and
cultural or ethnic association.  While working on a ca. 1870-1910 site in
Los Angeles, California,  I noticed that wood-lined privies associated with
Euro-Americans were built using horizontal boards supported by vertical
posts.   In contrast, the privies constructed by Chinese workers used
vertical boards supported by horizontal braces.  There was a metal-lined
privy, associated with Chinese construction, that also used horizontal
braces.  Privies from Oakland, California dating from the same period and
associated with Euro-Americans used both construction methods.  It is
unclear whether Oakland residents were, at least in some cases, contracting
with Chinese  laborers to construct their privies or that these were merely
coincidental differences in construction method.  I would be interested to
learn if anyone else has noticed similar patterns in privy construction.

Thanks, Mike Meyer  [log in to unmask]
Sonoma State University Anthropological Studies  Center