HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 12:33:44 +0000
From:
Christopher Salter <[log in to unmask]>

FOUNDERS SMITHS AND PLATERS

Metal Forming and Finishing from the Earliest Times

A conference to celebrate the 20th aniversary of the
Materials Science-based Archaeology Group of the
Department of Materials, University of Oxford

To be held at St. Catherine's College, Oxford,
         20th-24th September, 1999

The theme of the conference will be the casting, forging
and surface treatment of all metals from the ancient and
historical worlds with an emphasis on microstructures and
alloy properties and selection. Besides sessions on copper,
iron and precious metal alloys we hope that papers will be
attracted on such less studied alloys as pewter. There will
also be sessions on experimental metallurgy and on new
developments in metallography, especially electron
metallography. We will also be looking for sponsorship for
a prize for the best micrographs from archaeological or
industrial archaeological material.

The first call for papers will be sent out in April but we
would be pleased to hear now from anyone interested in
coming.

We anticipate a registration fee of £100 to £120, with a
much reduced rate for students. Accommodation (some en
suite) will be available in college. The present rate is
£53 per day for bed, breakfast, lunch, dinner and
refreshments at coffee breaks. St. Catherine's College is
in a riverside location with buildings designed in the
1960s by the Danish architect Arne Jacobsen, and makes a
very pleasant venue for a conference.

Peter Northover
Chris Salter

(At this stage we only know of one clash of dates, with
the 14th International Bronze Congress in Köln).
Peter Northover

--- End Forwarded Message ---

Chris Salter
Oxford Centre for Advanced Materials & Composites
(OCAMAC),  Dept of Materials, Oxford University, Parks Rd,
OX1. 3PH, England

Research Laboratory for Archaeology & History ofArt,
6 Keble Road, Oxford Univeristy, OX1 3QJ