HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"James L. Murphy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 15:18:33 -0500
At 10:40 AM 3/24/97 -0600, you wrote:

>Has anyone considered going to the press with this info?  After all, these
>unqualified people are REALLY, TRULY involved in destroying one of our
>most reliable sources of human history.  What if this had been done in Egypt,
>over the lands where they found the pyramid worker's housing and burial
>areas.  We'd all still believe the pyramids were built with 100% slave labor!

I didn't think to mention that, yes, we went to the press and tv, which was
largely responsible for the attorney contacting me ("I'm an old man... never
in all my years have I done anything that wasn't in the public interest")
and grudgingly doing better with the remainder of the material left at the
site.  It also resulted in an angry phone call from the developer.

The problem will continue.  The same developer faces a similar situation on
another tract, but this time we are going to try publicizing it before
anything is done with the site.  And the news isn't all bad-- another
developer has gone out of his way to restore and incorporate two abandoned
cemeteries into his housing project.
And I intend to pursue the angle of potential archaeological significance
with the Ohio SHPO.

But there definitely needs to be some control similar to what Ned Heite
describes from Maryland.

Jim Murphy