From:
"James C. King" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:00:32 -0600
Regarding Frank and Phronsie Humphrey's recent question if anyone has tried
a Tommy Gate on a pickup truck, I have not, but do have a 1000 lb. capacity
Tommy Gate on my 11,000 GVW F-350 stake body truck.  This works quite well
in my small outfit.  I can move 2 story hives by driving behind them and
moving them to the lift at ground level.  When taking honey off, I place
small pallets on the lift and accumulate 3 or 4 piles, raise the lift to
bed level and then move them forward with a hand cart.  Unloading is just
the reverse, using the hand cart to roll supers on pallets into the honey
house.  Occasionally I move drums of honey which can be easily done
substituting the barrel cart for the hand truck.  The only problem I would
see with using this gate on a pickup truck would be that the floor of the
pickup is not smooth like the stake body and so would cause problems moving
the hand and barrel carts.  Maybe a sheet of plywood would help in the case
of moving supers.  I have found that plywood will not stand up to the
pressure of the barrel cart wheels loaded with a full drum of honey (nor
will the corrugated metal pickup truck floor).   Also, the Tommy Gate has
the advantage that the gate can be dropped and chained at a 90 degree angle
to the back of the truck and thus the truck can to backed up to a loading
dock  in the normal fashion.

Jim King, Rieglesville, PA